About the Sandy Springs Woman's Club
The Sandy Springs Woman's Club is steeped in a history rich in service on a global level. As the first and oldest international civic organization in Sandy Springs, the Sandy Springs Woman's Club (SSWC) was organized by the Sandy Springs Garden Club in 1948 and soon became federated and a member of the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs (GaFWC) in 1949 and of the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC), a national organization. The GaFWC is the largest worldwide women's volunteer organization. It has maintained ties to international and community service since 1890. SSWC is a member of the 5th District President's Council of the Southern Region which includes Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, and Puerto Rico
During the infancy of the Sandy Springs community, there were very few facilities and services provided to our community. When the SSWC was founded, they found many opportunities available to provide their “Service to Others”. Immediately upon its inception, the Sandy Springs Woman’s Club provided leadership in the creation many different groups and services. In 1948, there was no library in the community. The Woman’s Club was instrumental in establishing the first library in Sandy Springs, securing volunteer personnel and a space to house the library in the Old Shopping Center off Roswell Rd and Hildebrand Rd. The library functioned until Fulton County built the local library at the intersection of Mt Vernon and Johnson Ferry Roads, its current location.
In 1949, the SSWC organized and founded the Golden Age Club, which provided services and assistance for the senior citizens of the community. It continued for many years until churches were built and formed their own senior groups within their congregations. The SSWC again took a leadership role by providing financial and volunteer support to the Sandy Springs Health Center. SSWC members gave tirelessly of their time and assisted in registering the public for blood tests, screening for diabetes, dental check-ups, etc.
The Sandy Springs Woman’s Club organized the Town & Country Garden Club and Club members throughout the years were active as volunteers at the newly built Northside Hospital. In later years, SSWC furnished a room at the hospital. In keeping with the times, in 1957, the Sandy Springs Woman’s Club sponsored and helped organize the Sandy Springs Junior Womans’ Club. Today, many of the members of the SSJWC continue their community service through the auspices of the SSWC and other community organizations.
For several decades as owners of a small tract of land east of the Sandy Springs Library, the SSWC donated the parcel to Fulton County as a “Reading Garden” in May 2002. The park was re-dedicated by Eva Galambos, Mayor of the City of Sandy Springs in 2006. That year the SSWC begin a campaign for many in the community to purchase a “Commemorative Brick”. In 2010, plans were finalized to erect the Commemorative Brick Wall as a vertical sitting wall at the entrance of the “Reading Garden”. Bricks engraved honor Past Presidents along with bricks community families, leaders and businesses. The new partnership between the county, city and ArtsSandySprings (ArtsSS) took the lead in erecting the 15 language Peace Pole, a labyrinth and walkway around the park. Many from the community helped to make this an enjoyable oasis in the heart of the city for reading and enjoying nature at its best. The SSWC was again honored for their commitments & service work in the community.
Tallulah Falls School is owned and operated by the Georgia Federation of Womens’ Clubs and is the only school owned solely by a body of women. Tallulah Falls School is a continuing service program of SSWC through support of the school and its students, contributions to the Building Funds, Maintenance, Furnishings of Student Dorms, Infirmary, Scholarship Funds, Student Christmas Funds and much more.
SSWC continues to live up to its purpose “Service to Others” through volunteering, funding, caring, sharing and understanding the needs of others all while under the leadership of 40 presidents. Rich in its history, unwavering in its commitment, The Sandy Springs Womans' Club remains a strong and vital part of the local and global community. Its motto, “Service to Others” continues to define this dedicated organization.